Sunday, March 27, 2016

sweet disarray // like an artist



"wanna perfect body,
wanna perfect soul."
- thom yorke


maybe my soul's alright, but my body's all wrong;

i stand straight & tall even though i have a roller-coaster spine,
i cry almost every time i laugh,
i love folding blankets with others & i always drink with my pinkie out.

maybe my soul's all right;
i put away vinyls by using the sides of my palms
& tucking them briefly under my bottom lip
and i've always loved that about myself.

,
    i could have been your wisest idea,
your most loving notion;

so perhaps i will continue to hold these grudges
so that you may still occupy some space in my mind:
maybe my body's all wrong.

he touched me like an artist,
but i've never sensed weight behind brushstrokes.
he touched me like a musician,
but i'd forgotten black keys & high e strings.
he touched me like a historian:
but i'm a modernist and he's a road map.

i'm an orange peel
& you're a candy wrapper,

i'm a train ride
& you're a bike basket,

i'm frank sinatra
& you're 1977;

sometimes i still wanna wrap the sky up in a blanket
and leave it in your kitchen sink so your mother can say
she washed the dishes with her oldest friend -

so maybe my soul's alright,
but my body's all wrong:

i am the dust on your impeccable bookshelf.

\\


(manray, solarisation
circa 1929)




7 comments:

  1. I love the part about the roller coaster spine

    also that whole thing with the weight behind brushstrokes and forgotten black keys and road maps

    also "I am the dust on your impeccable bookshelf"

    also everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so special. this all felt like a song.

    "sometimes i still wanna wrap the sky up in a blanket
    and leave it in your kitchen sink so your mother can say
    she washed the dishes with her oldest friend -'

    ReplyDelete
  3. AGH EMILY MOYLE YOUVE DONE IT AGAIN.
    roller coaster spine YES
    he touched me YES
    blankets and kitchen sinks and oldest friends...
    YES
    YES
    YES

    i just yessed your whole poem but I couldn't write everything down. You've blown me away yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sometimes i still wanna wrap the sky up in a blanket
    and leave it in your kitchen sink so your mother can say
    she washed the dishes with her oldest friend -

    wowowow emily moyle you seamstress of words and strange metaphors. I've read this post three times already and I'll probably read it again once I post this comment. You will always continue to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your writing is extremely beautiful
    i love every post
    every single one
    also everything about you
    thank you for sharing it all

    ReplyDelete